Friday, May 9, 2008

Art World Bullies





Deprived of cultural stimulation in the small country town in which I live, I often make trips to the great bookstores in the capital city 3 hours away. So I was looking forward to a good intellectual read about art when I settled in on my train ride back home.

z

Unfortunately, I had purchased the April issue of ArtForum. The Letters page contains an argument (that's the polite word) between international curators Robert Storr and Okwui Enwezor. ArtForum online wittingly refers to Storr Wars.

To make it short, both curators call each other bullies. So much for intellectual stimulation. It just enhances my theory that the job of 'international curator' attracts, shall we say, a megalomaniac personality, in other words, a bully.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree totally, and not just international curators, infact many art world administrators.

Susan said...

Do you have any detailed anecdotes? Please DO TELL!