- The year the biennial was born: The Venice Biennale in 1895
- Biennials/Triennials currently active: over 60
- Year of the first biennial in Asia: 1952 with the Tokyo Biennale
- Percentage of biennials initiated by the government vs independent: 65%: 35%
- Biggest budget for a biennial since 1990: Gwangju Biennale with an average budget of over$US12 million
- Lowest budget for a biennial since 1990: The 1st Tirana Biennale with a budget of $US 30,000
- For a hundred years from 1890s to 1980s, only 17 biennials were in existence. Today, there are over 60.
These facts about art biennales come from Art Asia Archive: http://www.aaa.org.hk/onlineprojects/bitri/en/didyouknow.aspx